Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cultural Quiz

With the Fourth of July falling on a Friday, this past weekend was three days of Independence Day celebrations, fireworks, small U.S. flags and hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad and baked beans.

During a rare quiet moment, I slunk away to check out the on-line version of The Globe & Mail to see what was going on in Canada. I stumbled upon a quiz testing knowledge of Canadian and American culture. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080630.wcandayquiz01/BNStory/CanadaDay2008/home

SPOILER ALERT! I'm about to discuss the quiz and some of the answers. Take the quiz yourself before proceeding.

I was pretty cocky going into the quiz. Working through the first ten questions about Canada, I found myself grateful for having actually stayed awake in my Constitutional Law class. It was tougher than I thought it would be. The second ten questions about the United States were easier.

How'd I do? Well, I scored 8/10 on the Canada section and 9/10 on the American section. My downfall? I got some arcane question about female Canadian authors wrong. I also blew both questions on women's suffrage. Now, you're no doubt expecting me to make a comment about women being given the right to vote, aren't you? I'm a brave guy but I'm not that brave!

No comments: