Sunday, July 27, 2008

Heath Ledger's Canadian Connection

I saw The Dark Knight last week. LOVED IT! More accurately, I thought Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was outstanding in every respect. Yes, the Joker was menacing but what I liked about him was that he was hilarious! I was rolling around laughing at a lot of the Joker's lines (even when the rest of the theater was stone cold silent). And, as a libertarian, I actually found myself agreeing with most of the Joker's philosophical observations. Anyway, here's the Joker:

I'm definitely going to go see The Dark Knight again. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

I was extraordinarily saddened when I learned of Heath Ledger's death earlier this year. I enjoyed him in A Knight's Tale and The Patriot and was just blown away by his performance in Brokeback Mountain. Such a talented guy. Here's Heath looking normal:

I spent some time trying to find a "Canadian connection" for Heath. I knew that Brokeback Mountain was shot in Alberta. I dug deeper and learned that Heath attended the Toronto Film Festival in 2006 and that he shot a movie about Bob Dylan (which I haven't seen) in Montreal.

CTV news reported a story (which you can check out here http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060908/ledger_film_fest_060908?s_name=tiff2006&no_ads=) where Heath revealed his feelings about Canada. Here is what he had to say: "I absolutely love it. I love the people, I love everything about it here. I don't know what it is about Australians and Canadians getting along so well but they do. It seems like there's the same sense of humour, very dry, and just a very modest society."

It's hard to believe he's gone.

No comments: