Friday, September 26, 2008

"100% Cheese-Free"

I was at the Metrodome in Minneapolis last Sunday for the NFL match up between the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers. Part way through the second quarter, my wife pointed out a fellow fan who was marching up the aisle one section over. He was a big bull of a man wearing purple camouflage pants, a purple tank top and a championship belt like those worn by professional wrestlers. The man sported a garish yellow moustache and similarly colored eyebrows. To cap it all off, he was wearing a Viking helmet with braids hanging from it.

"That guy's famous," my wife said. "My parents know him. He's from Winnipeg. I think he works for CP Rail. He stays at the same Marriott that my parents stay at. They see him all the time."

The burly Viking uber-fan walked up and down the aisle a few more times during the game, drawing attention everywhere he went.

When we got back to the Marriott, we ran into the guy in the lobby and rode up in the elevator with him. He was polite and well-mannered, betraying his fierce Viking get up.

When I got back home, I did a little research on the guy. In a matter of minutes, I discovered that the super fan is referred to as "100% Cheese-Free," that his real name is Syd Davy and that he's a locomotive engineer from Winnipeg. Here's a picture of Syd as "100% Cheese-Free":

A couple of years ago, USA Today had a feature on "100% Cheese-Free" that you can catch here http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/vikings/2006-12-20-devoted-fan_x.htm.

Now I wish I'd had my picture taken with the guy!

No comments: