Saturday, August 30, 2008

"Stumpy" And "Hottie"--Olympic Thoughts

Wow, it's hard to believe that the Olympics have been over for almost a week now. I have to say, I enjoyed the NBC coverage a lot more than I thought I would. The network seemed to deliver on its promise about more live coverage and there seemed to me to be fewer athlete "background stories."

NBC's pre-Olympics hype was centered on Michael Phelps, Natalie Coughlin and Shawn Johnson so, of course, I felt compelled to follow their progress. I was particularly interested in Natalie Coughlin and Shawn Johnson because the NBC commercials made them look hot. Let's not kid ourselves here folks, sex sells-- even with respect to coverage of the Olympics.

Natalie Coughlin lived up to her aquatic mer-babe hype. Here she is after winning gold in the 100m backstroke:

She came across as demure (and sexy!) in all of her post-victory interviews. Apparently, she's getting married to another swimming type who is now a coach. Lucky, lucky, lucky guy!

I have to admit, I turned pretty quickly on Shawn Johnson. She's just weird looking. It's as if someone grafted a cute-girl head onto the stumpy body of a freakishly muscled little man. Not for me, thanks. Also, I felt like the ultimate perv when the announcers mentioned that Shawn Johnson is only sixteen! Shame on NBC for sexing up the coverage of somebody so young. Sheesh, keep the exploitation to the legal ones for goodness sake.... In that spirit, I felt perfectly within my rights to ogle Nastia Liukin. Nastia didn't just win the gold as the world's all around best female gymnast, she's also eighteen. Here's a picture of Shawn and Nastia:

See what I'm talking about? I propose that, going forward, Shawn and Nastia's nicknames be "Stumpy" and "Hottie," respectively.

On a completely different topic, I think congratulations are in order for the Canadian team. I took a ton of abuse over Canada's seriously slow start. But with eighteen medals by the end of the Olympics, Canada did better, on a per capita population basis, than the United States which managed to win one hundred and ten medals. So, good job Canada!

No comments: